To suggest additions, please email Anne Hamland at email@example.com.
- Summer Performer Collaborative Booking Spreadsheet: see who is hiring which performers for ideas and cost sharing.
- Summer Reading Resource Roundup: resources your WVLS peers use to plan their summer programs.
- Collaborative Summer Library Program (CSLP)
- Includes lesson plans, activity handouts, and graphics for each Summer Reading Program.
- Youth Services Information Exchange: Facebook Page
- A place to share programming ideas and support for WVLS member libraries.
- WLA Youth Services Section: AND YSS Blog
- Ideas and information for librarians serving youth.
- Association for Library Service to Children ALSC Blog
- VERY good blog with timely information and nationwide inspiration.
- The Programming Librarian
Storytime & Early Literacy
- Storytime Katie: Blog
- This blog created by Katie, an Early Literacy Librarian, includes storytime plans with books, props, songs, and reviews on topics. Stumped on a good book or song for a topic? This blog’s for you!
- Jbrary: Blog
- Lindsey and Dana, two children’s librarians created Jbrary as a class project for one of our MLIS courses, and has since grown into a blog and YouTube channel we use to participate in the virtual youth services world.
- Sowing Seeds Librarian: Blog
- Storytime Lesson Plans! Because, why should we all have to write our own week after week when we can share good ideas!
- Storytime Underground: Blog
- This blog is committed to providing free, comprehensive early childhood education activities for all families. the blog includes tips and recommendations for storytimes, training on pertinent topics (rowdy storytime attendees, parent expectations, and more), advocacy, and more!
- ALSC Association for Library Service to Children (ALA): Blog
- The ALSC is a section from ALA dedicated you children’s services. Their blog is amazing and provides resources and tips to be used right away and also discussions of larger youth services topics.
- Youth Services Information Exchange: WVLS Facebook Page
- A place to share programming ideas and support for WVLS member libraries. Feel free to share resources, photos, files, etc.
- YSS Youth Services Section, WLA: Resources and YSS BLOG
- The Wisconsin Library Association’s Youth Services Section provides a forum and resource for people in Wisconsin’s libraries who share a commitment to serving children and young adults, their parents, caregivers, and teachers.
- Cooperative Children’s Book Center: Resources
- A unique and vital gathering place for books, ideas, and expertise in the field of children’s and young adult literature.
- Pinterest: Blog/Social Media
- Find songs, activities, crafts and more!
- Storyline Online: Website
- Famous people narrating animated read alouds. Beloved actors who know how to bring stories to life.
- Read Aloud 15 Minutes: awesome ready-to-use images and flyers.
- Saroj Ghoting: Early Childhood Literacy Consultant
- Saroj Ghoting is an Early Childhood Literacy Consultant and national trainer on early literacy. She presents early literacy training and information sessions at national, regional, and state conferences, and training for library staff and their partners. Her website features resources for early literacy research, storytime, handouts and activities, summer reading, videos, and hosts a storytime brainstorming page.
- SurLaLune: Blog
- With a focus on Fairy Tales, this blog includes posts about current events (Banned Books Week), book reviews, and books gathered by topics.
- Every Child Ready to Read – Toolkit for Serving Early Childhood Educators
- This toolkit aims to offer a better understanding of what is means to pattern, train, and facilitate learning with early childhood educators whose students are growing in independence and ability as they approach school entry.
- New York Public Library: Storytime Strategies for Children’s Specialists in Public Library Settings: self-paced module.
1,000 Books Before Kindergarten App
- Download the free app.
- Create a profile for your kiddo.
- Track books! Type or scan in titles!
- Read 3 books per night you’ll be done in 3 years!
Many libraries use paper record books for their participants such modeled after the national 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten template.
App Tracking & App Toolbox for Librarians
1,000 Books B4K App is here for Android and Apple products! WVLS partnered with Bridges Library System to create a FREE app for all library users. Please visit the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten Toolbox or the Bridges Library System webpage for free promotional samples, graphics, reading logs, completion certificates, AND the 1,000 Books App Overview for Library Staff! The overview includes direction on how to transfer paper records into the app with a simple trick for librarians.
- 1000 Books App Overview For Library Staff
- Info and FAQ for 1000 Bks B4 K App Patron
- Bridges 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten App Letter Jan 2016
- News Release 2.0
- Web Examples Announcing 1000 Books Before Kindergarten App
- App Description Long & Short
- 1000 Books Before K Newsletter and FB posts
Libraries Transform Taglines
- “Because 5 out of 5 doctors agree reading aloud to children supports brain development.”
- “Because learning to read comes before reading to learn.”
- “Because learning starts before kindergarten.”
- “Because a library card is the most important school supply of all.”
Libraries Transform, An initiative of the American Library Association.
Associations and Blogs
Book & Media Lists
- ALA: Coretta Scott King, John Steptoe Awards
- ALSC Awards, Children’s Notable Lists, Professional Awards
- Newbery, Caldecott, Sibert, Wilder, Carnegie, Batchelder, Belpre, Geisel, and Odyssey awards and the May Hill Arbuthnot Honor Lecture.
- Exemplary books, videos, recordings, and computer software for children.
- Notable Children’s Recording List – Audiobooks!
- Audiobook Lists
- Cooperative Children’s Book Center (CCBC)
- WLA Children’s Book Awards
Graphic Novels & Manga
- A Super-fast History of Manga in the US and Purchasing Suggestions, Steph Cherrywell, Antigo PL, 2018
- Yearly Great Graphic Novels List from YALSA (teen)
- CommonSense Media - Best of Graphic Novels for Kids
- 12 Essential Nonfiction Graphic Novels for Kids and Teens - School Library Journal 2020
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction – Home-Based Private Education Program (Homeschooling) Information
- FAQs, statistics, Kindergarten Attendance…
- Wisconsin Parents Association
- Wisconsin Christian Home Educators Association
- Wisconsin Homeschool Group: A2Z Homes Cool
K-12 Library Resources
- School Libraries - Wisconsin Department of Instruction
- WEMTA Wisconsin Educational Media & Technology Association: Resources and K-12 Library Information
- Wisconsin’s Common School Fund: WI DPI Information
- Administrator’s Guide for 21st Century School Librarians: UW System School Library Education Consortium.
School and Library Partnerships for Summer Learning and Reading Programs– WVLS Youth Services Workshop
- Do you communicate regularly with your K-12 librarians? Do you support K-12 librarians and teachers during the school year?
- Do you have a list of K-12 Teacher emails that you could use for announcements and feedback?
- Do you send Summer Reading Program information to K-12 librarians well in advance (February)?
- Do you set up a library booth at parent teacher conferences or open houses?
ALSC Blog Post: “Gimme a C (for Collaboration!): Starting Small and Building” January 25, 2017
Inclusive Services Resources
If you are looking for information on Inclusive Services, check out the page dedicated to it on our website.
What does it mean to be inclusive? Wisconsin public libraries are places where everyone should be safe, welcomed, and respected in experiences such as arrivals in our buildings, getting library cards, using a computer and paying fines.
2020 Fall VIRTUAL Youth Workshop
School and Public library realtionships and partnerships.
Information coming soon!
2019 SuperStorytimes Workshop
- 2019 Annual Youth Services Workshop- Super Storytimes
- PICTURES! Rib Lake, Tomahawk, MCPL, Rhinelander, LE Phillips/Eau Claire
- Music and Movement in Storytime from Jerissa Koenig
- Sensory Friendly Storytime Handout
- Storytimes with Steam from Krista Blomberg
- IFLS Storytime Kits book these for a ready-to-use storytime (songs, cds, books, puppets, props, activities all included)
2019 Madison Public Library - The Bubbler
2018 Youth Services Workshop: TEENS in the Library
2018 STEAM in Youth Services Workshop
Attendees learned how to create high-interest STEAM programs on a low-to-no budget, tackle local STEAM grant writing, test out virtual/augmented reality, the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten App, passive coding activities, AND tried an Hour of Code!
Emily Zorea, Youth Services Librarian of the Brewer Public Library in Richland Center, kick-offed the day with “Engaging Families, Youth, and Teens around STEAM and Thematic Programming.” Julie Kinney, Teen Librarian for Marathon County Public Library, and Tammie Blomberg, Director of the Rib Lake Public Library, led the group through the Hour of Code and talked about bringing coding concepts to teen and adult library users.
Find more from Emily at her Sowing Seeds Librarian blog.
Attendees participated in passive coding activities and left with inspiration and coding lesson plans in hand! Activities and lesson plans courtesy of Linda Liukas, author of the Hello Ruby book series. The Hello Ruby series written for children is a “whimsical way to learn about technology, computing and coding.”
Wisconsin Valley Library Service
300 N 1st Street
Wausau, WI 54403