New Director Orientation
To suggest additions, please email Jamie Matczak at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Congratulations on your role as a library director in the Wisconsin Valley Library Service!
WVLS is one of 16 public library systems in the state of Wisconsin, serving libraries in the counties of Clark, Forest, Lincoln, Langlade, Lincoln, Marathon, Oneida, and Taylor. Our mission is to “facilitate cooperation among its member libraries by encouraging statewide resource sharing, promoting cost-effective use of available funds, and assisting member libraries in implementing and utilizing current and evolving technologies to ensure the ultimate level of library service to residents throughout its seven county system area.”
What does that mean? As a public library system, we are here to serve and assist YOU. Becoming a new library director can feel daunting and overwhelming. You should not hesitate to contact a WVLS staff member at ANY time for ANY question. No question is too silly or too small.
This orientation process is meant to help you in small steps that are manageable. We’ve broken down the process in terms of one month, three months, six months, one year, and 18 months from your date of hire. WVLS staff will also visit you at your library in pairs throughout your first year, to assist you in your new role and to talk about the key ways they can help you. The timeline for this process is fluid. You might find that a “six month meeting” could happen at five months, or needs to be extended. We will work with you on making this orientation effective for your schedule and learning curve.
Also, at 18 months from your date of hire, you will receive a survey to help us evaluate this orientation process.
Also, the WVLS Education Consultant will be checking in with you on a monthly basis during your first year. If you have questions at any time, please contact Jamie Matczak at email@example.com or 920-455-0668.
As you are settling into your role as a new library director, WVLS recommends that you complete these tasks within your first month of hire.
- Become familiar with and use your library’s work email
- Utilize the following email lists for assistance:
- Submit public library certification application to the Public Library Development Team at the Wisconsin Department of Instruction (DPI) (in binder)
- Jamie Matczak will assist you with the forms needed for your application.
- Schedule a two-hour visit with WVLS Director and Administrative Assistant at your library.
- Orientation Checklist for New Directors
- Public Library Systems Map (in binder)
- WVLS Member Library Directory
- WVLS Fact Sheet (in binder)
- WVLS Organizational Chart (in binder)
- Partners for Excellence (in binder)
- WVLS Staff (in binder)
- WVLS Calendar (in binder)
- Chapter 43 (in binder)
- Open Meeting Laws (in binder)
- Library Annual Report (in binder)
- Library Strategic Plan, if applicable (in binder)
- Board Meeting Participation (in binder)
- How to Take Board Meeting Minutes (in binder)
- Records Retention
- County/Library Agreements (in binder)
- County Library Plan (in binder)
- County Funding/Reimbursements (in binder)
- WVLS Acronyms (in binder)
As you are becoming more familiar in your role as a public library director, WVLS recommends that you complete these goals shortly after your three-month hire date.
- Plan on your enrolling in your first course for temporary library certification within the next 6 months.
- Start sending copies of your library board meeting agendas/minutes to Administrative Assistant at WVLS.
- Schedule a two-hour visit with WVLS ILS Administrator and Database Support Specialist.
As you are becoming more familiar in your role as a public library director, WVLS recommends that you schedule a two-hour visit after your six-month hire date with the WVLS Public Services Consultant and Education Consultant.
- Youth, Teen, Adult Services
- Summer Library Performer Grants
- Website Assistance and WVLS Website Overview
- Continuing Education Workshops and Webinars
- WVLS Mentoring Program
- WVLS Communications
- Courier and Communication
- Wisconsin Division for Libraries and Technology
- Further Reading
As you are becoming more familiar in your role as a public library director, WVLS recommends that you complete these goals shortly after your one year hire date.
- Schedule a two-hour visit with WVLS IT CIO.
- Schedule a phone conversation with WVLS Inclusive Services Consultant.
- Further Reading
Wisconsin Valley Library Service
300 N 1st Street
Wausau, WI 54403