To suggest additions, please email Anne Hamland at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- ADA Standards for Accessible Design, 2010
- Wisconsin Public Library Standards (Wisconsin DPI, 2018)
- Where does your library fall? Tier 1, 2, or 3?
- Public Library Space Needs: A Planning Outline (Wisconsin DPI, 2009)
- Space needs worksheet
- Use this worksheet to assess what you have versus what you need.
- Collection space, public computers, seating…
- Public Libraries Survey, Institute of Museum and Library Service
- Find your library peers, how do you compare to their performance?
- Inclusive Services Assessment and Guide (Wisconsin DPI, 2019)
Prepare Your Marketing Toolkit
Your library will be creating products to plan, inform, and market your building project.
Gather your marketing toolkit:
- Library logo
- jpg, png image files for internet use
- pdf image file for print
- small and large files
- Designate one email address for all building project contact
- Gather or take pictures of current library space, indoor and outdoor, preferably on a sunny day
- Create an email list to send project updates and communications to the public: newspaper, radio, news channel, chamber, city council, city clerk, city departments, library board, friends of the library…
Building Project Webinar Series
- Are You Ready for a Building Project? Assessing Space Needs and Community Readiness, April 2019
- John Thompson, Director, IFLS Library System
Free Web Junction Series
Betha Gutsche leads the FREE, self-paced, three-part series “Making Space for Active Learning in Your Library” from Web Junction.
- Active Learning and Community Discovery
- From Discovery to Design
- Action Planning and Implementation
Course material was developed as part of the Small Libraries Create Smart Spaces project, funded by OCLC and a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS). WebJunction partnered with the Association of Rural and Small Libraries (ARSL)
Wisconsin Valley Library Service
300 N 1st Street
Wausau, WI 54403