A new virus is circulating around libraries. The new bug displays a pop-up window, warns users the computer is infected, and instructs them to call a support number. Do not fall for it!
- KnowBe4 wrote an in-depth article on the new bug: "Tech support scammers abuse bug in HTML5 to freeze computers"
The pop-up page cannot be closed, so here is what you need to do:
- Kill the browser using your Task Manager (control+alt+delete) OR reboot the computer
- Reboot the computer
- Download and run Malwarebytes in safe mode
- Send in a support ticket to email@example.com
- Include screenshots of the Malwarebytes results in the help ticket
Submitted by Chris Heitman