Continuing Education Opportunities
To suggest additions, please email Anne Hamland at email@example.com.
WVLS Director Retreat 2017
The next WVLS Director Retreat will be held October 5, 2017.
- Amanda O’Neal and Kelly Nelson from the Winneconne Public Library. O’Neal and Nelson will talk about community partnerships and playing to the strengths of library staff and the library community.
- Cindy Fesemyer and Deb Haeffner from the Columbus Public Library. Fesemyer and Haeffner will present “From Potluck to Project,” and discuss how their library brings community partners together for potluck conversations that result in community projects.
2017 Continuing Education Schedule
Webinars are made possible through a partnership with Nicolet Federated Library System, and other library systems.
- Jul 12: 30 Minute Wednesday: Effective Managing Customer Behaviors @ 1pm, Webinar
- Jul 27/28: WiLSWorld 2017, Workshop
- Aug 10: WVLS Cataloger’s Retreat @9:30-3pm, Workshop
- Aug 21-25: WI Trustee Training Week @12pm each day, Webinars
- Aug 25: WVLS Youth Services Information Exchange (YSIE) @10-2pm, Antigo, Meeting
- Sep 7: Tips for Building a Well-Rounded Collection for Youth @1pm, Webinar
- Sep 26: Database Overview @1pm, Webinar
- Oct 4: Are You Being Served? Programming for Emerging Adults @1pm, Webinar
- Oct 5: WVLS Director’s Retreat @ TBD, Bunker Hills Golf Course, Wausau, Workshop
- Oct 25: Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, Video, Video, Video! Or, Using Video to Market Library Services @1pm, Webinar
- Oct 26: Data Informed Collection Development @10am, Webinar
- Nov 2: WVLS Periodic Renewal Discussion Group, @After V-Cat Meeting, Discussion Group
- Nov 3: Promoting Your Collection: Merchandising and More @1pm, Webinar
- Nov 15: Graphic Design for Libraries @1pm, Webinar
- Dec 12: WVLS Annual Youth Services Workshop @ 9-3:30pm, MCPL-Wausau, Workshop
Continuing Education Resources
Find WVLS webinar and workshop recordings, State/Web/National conferences, online learning resources, podcasts, and more!
WVLS/NFLS Webinar Recordings
WVLS Workshop Recordings
WVLS Youth Services Workshop
Dec 8, 2016
- 2016 WVLS Youth Services Workshop Flyer and Agenda
- American Indian Collection Development for Children and Young Adults
- Stem, Steam, Stream, Oh My!
- School/Library Partnerships for Summer Learning & Reading Programs
Managing Your Digital Footprint Without Falling Prey to Cyber Sneakers
Sep, 20, 2016
A workshop for Library Professionals who design programs for Tweens/Teens/Parents. Attendees will learn more about online sharing and privacy and digital citizenship and social media safety.
State, Web, and National Conferences
- (CALL) Conference About Libraries & Literacy- February 9, 2017
- WEMTA Wisconsin Educational Media & Technolocy Association- March 19-21, 2017
- Power Up! Conference in Leadership for Youth Services– March 30-21, 2017.
- (WAPL) Wisconsin Association of Public Libraries– April 26-28, 2017
- (SSCS) Support Staff and Circulation Services (SSCS)– May 25, 2017 Fort Atkinson Club
- WISCNET Future Technologies- May 2017
- WiLS World– July 27-28, 2017
- Wisconsin Library Association (WLA)– October 17-20, 2017
- Back in Circulation- October 2017
- Wild Wisconsin Winter Web Conference– January 24-26, 2017 includes archives!
- Wisconsin Trustee Training Week– August 21-25 includes archives!
- Library 2.0 Mini Web-Conference
- School Library Journal Teen LIVE!: includes archives!
- (ALA) American Library Association– June 22-27, 2017, Chicago
- Library Information Technology Association (LITA)
- Computers in Libraries
- Public Library Association (PLA)
- (ARSL) Association for Rural and Small Libraries– September 7-9 St. George, Utah
- Association of College & Research Libraries (ACRL)
- Harwood Public Innovators Lab for Libraries
- Other national conferences (?)
Online Learning Resources
Webinars & Webinar Series
- Learning Express
- Microsoft 365 courses, web design, social media, how to create patron accounts.
- Web Junction
- BadgerLearn Pro
- ALCTS Association for Library Collections and Technical Services
“Because podcasts aren’t restricted by traditional broadcast regulations, a huge variety of programming is available, both by established media outlets and by individuals and organizations of all type.” -Nicole Hennig, American Libraries Magazine Mar/Apr 2017
Browse Podcast Directories
- Audiosear.ch is a free full-text search “and intelligence engine” for podcasts. Users can filter content by show, network, category, people, or topic and share clips on social media. The organization recently partnered with the Digital Public Library of America.
- BigListen.org from NPR
- iTunes Store has one of the largest directories of podcasts available but some podcasters don’t configure their shows for it.
- Library of Congress
- New York Public Library Podcast
- The Librarian Is In: NYPL
- Seattle Public Library
- Smithsonian Libraries
- Overcast: iOs Podcast Player
- Pocket Casts: Android Podcast App
- Postloudness.com aims to create a community of shows by women, people of color, and queer-identified hosts.
WVLS Digital Lites: Continuing Education
Statewide New Public Library Director Boot Camp Aug 16-18, 2017
To share essential information that every Wisconsin public library director needs to know, and to facilitate networking among new directors and their seasoned peers.
- Find more information about the WI New Public Library Director Boot Camp.
- The next boot camp will held in August 16-18th at the Hotel Marshfield.
- New directors, watch for an email!
- Meals included: Thursday breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack; Friday breakfast, lunch
- Wednesday, August 16, with arrival and check-n from 4-6 p.m. There will be an evening meeting from 6:30 until 7:30 to do introductions and housekeeping.
- Thursday, hit the ground running with a full day of sessions. There will be a WISL reception in the atrium from 6:30 to 9:30, with access to the cash bar/lounge.
Please consider registering for this free webinar from Minitex on September 20th, 2017 at 10am. Public libraries have a mission to serve and include all members of the community, including teens with disabilities.read more
Announcing the 2017 Youth Services Institute Cohort. Congrats Krista Blomberg and Katie Kubisiak!read more
OverDrive is providing the WPLC library community another opportunity to meet Libby, OverDrive’s new app for Wisconsin’s Digital Library in a webinar on Friday, July 14th at 10am.read more
A Pew Research Center survey from 2016 “finds that 53% of Millennials (those ages 18 to 35 at the time) say they used a library of bookmobile in the previous 12 months.” Is your library providing programs and services for Millennials?read more
Wisconsin Valley Library Service
300 N 1st Street
Wausau, WI 54403